Monday, May 19, 2008

Reflections on State Meet

What a fantastic weekend at State up in Lakewood. With the kids having been training for this weekend since Veteran's Day all the way back in November, I was eager to have the day finally arrive. So eager, I woke up at 1:00 in the morning with more nervous energy than I have ever felt before. Ugh.

The results were fantastic, Alex came in 9th in the open 800 m boys race, Kirsten came in first in the open 800 m girls race. The team of Derek, Taylor, Patrick and Alex PR-ed huge and came in 5th in the 4 x 800 m race with a time of 8:01.26, shaving 19 seconds off their best time of the season, and the girls 4 x 800 team of Kelli, Melanie, Kirsten and Kateyln won their race with a school record time of 9:21.47. They won by 0.01 seconds, literally Katelyn drove her knee past the Rocky Mtn girl and after the longest seven minutes of my life, the phote finish determined that Chaparral had won the title!

It was a great way to end the high school track season, I was so proud of everyone's preparation and production. The banquet was a lot of fun for me Saturday night, because I knew we had performed up to our potential!

SEP

Our State Champion 4 x 800 team, Melanie, Kelli, Kirsten and Katelyn.



Kelli handing off to Melanie at the first hand-off.



Melanie making a perfect exchange with Kirsten.


Kirsten giving the baton to Katelyn for the anchor leg.




The coaches and the All-State boys 4 x 800 team: Laster, Sep, Derek, Alex, Taylor, Patrick, Thomas, Hawk


Alex cruising in the lead pack


Taylor extending the race lead



Patrick flying through his spilt.



Derek finishing in first for the team.

I am so proud of all of our athletes, every single one of them. We trained so hard this year, and I hope you all enjoyed the journey as much as I did! Thanks, thanks, thanks! I can't wait until the first Red Rocks session!

Coach SEP

No comments: