Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday Thoughts

Wow, what a rainy, cold disgusting weather day yesterday. I am glad we went home when we did, as the cancelled the entire meet only thirty minutes after we left. I consider the meet a success, no one got injured, everyone seemed realtively healthy when we left, and we didn't lose anything. (Although I think I lost my winter hat, if anyone grabbed a brown and black winter hat, it's mine.)

I am welcoming Spring Break, as I am sure everyone is, but it is not a time to shut everything down. Here is the schedule for all 400 m runners and up for this week:

Sunday--Long Easy Run. If you did not race yesterday, pick up the pace a little bit. If you did, keep it nice and slow. Run for at least 60 minutes, more if you can.

Monday--On Your Own15-20 min. wamr-up, then do 5-6 "tolerators" That is a 200 (about 30 sec.) of running at 400 m pace, followed by 100 m (13-16 sec) running all-out. You should feel and noticeable "shift" when you go from 400 pace to sprint pace. This is a continous 300 m interval. Do 5-6 of them. Then, a 15-20 min cool down.

Tuesday--On Your Own. Same as Sunday. 60 -90 min run, with four to five "pick-ups" thrown in there to mix things up.

Wednesday--Meet at Sierra MS at nine o'clock. We will be doing the famous "Three Minute Eggs" work-out as a team, bring your cross country flats! This when I figure out who is varsity for this upcoming weekend.

Thursday--Meet at Chaparral Track. This is an easy day, a short run and some sit-ups. It is also the lasy day to tell me what events you want to do in addition to your relay events if you qualified for Mt. SAC. Check out the schedule here. Then tell me what other events, up to three, you would like to compete in. It is a long day, look carefully for your race. We will most likely be in the "open" division.

Friday--Meet at Chaparral Track. Short speed day, paper-work day, mental preparation day. A typical Friday before a race.

Saturday--I am pretty sure we meet at CHS at 5:15 for this race, but more details to come.

And lastly, I just want to say how proud I am of ALL of our two milers. Yesterday's performance, starting with Lexi and Katelyn coming within ten seconds of the 5 year old school record; to Josh bouncing back and shaving 30 seconds off of last weeks time; to Alex running a tremendous 10:15, and establishing himself as a hard-core runner in the league; to Steven simply racing, and showing that the two mile is a race of ACTIONS, not RE-ACTIONS. It was great, it was all great. In fact, I take back what I said at the beginning of the post, it wasn't a disgusting day, it was a beautiful day!

2 comments:

Zach said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOm8sNZKKuA

I guess we're both right

krisikay said...

Coach Sep,

What a bummer Gma and Gpa came all the way from Iowa and now the meet is cancelled but they wanted to say what a great job you and Coach Hawk are doing. Also, they want you to know they really enjoy the website and blog so they can keep up on Katelyn.