Monday, June 4, 2007

Sox-Yanks

Ooooh, that was a tough one. Watching these games, even though they are in June, is like watching a steel cage match, to paraphrase from one of my competitors in my fantasy baseball league. (In which I am getting my ass kicked, my team is horrible!)

I wonder what the papers and media in Boston will say, whether the crazies will be calling for Jonathon's head, or whether they will actually support the team and stay positive.

My personal take, the Yanks kind of scare me, you can't be a true Boston fan and say that they don't. I will feel a lot better if the Sox can get out to Oakland and put a whipping on a very good team. I am not saying I see cracks in the armor, I am just saying that I am not 100% confident about this team like I have been with the Patriots in years past.

I did say I would post some workouts through this forum, but first, I have created a poll. (I am slowly turning into an insomniac web geek, it kind of hurts.) I am wondering about our summer Red Rocks workouts. Are they worthwhile? Can they be replaced with something else? I always wonder how beneficial they are, as I do not see the direct results of them, that shows up in the fall XC season. Please vote in the poll down at the bottom of this post, or leave comments traditionally, and I can use that feedback to plan next weeks workouts.

During the summer, we want to follow a few guidelines. I created a a list of "rules" for summer training, some of you might remember them from last year. I think they are very valuable, even though there a a lot of them.

Sep's “rules” about summer training:

  • Always have fun.
  • Practice your visualization and positive internal messages.
  • Always run at a comfortable, slow, easy pace on LSD days.
  • Get some good speed work in every two weeks.
  • Never run on Mondays.
  • Don’t worry about miles, worry about total time. The mileage section of your log is only an estimation, concentrate on getting in time, not miles. Sunday is always an overdistance day. If you feel strong on Sundays, try and run longer. Sundays should be hard not because of the intensity, but because of the duration. Hikes are great for Sundays. So are long bike rides.
  • Don’t try and make up for missed days by extending a particular workout. Take it one day at a time.
  • Run off-road as much as you can.
  • Run with a buddy as much as you can.
  • Wear sunscreen!
  • Stretch more than you think you need to.
  • Get into good habits of eating and drinking over the summer.
  • And finally, sometimes you feel tired sitting around the house, but as soon as you get out there running, you feel great! That’s the magic of summer training!
Some other facets of summer training are hill work, stretching, core strength, weights, and a little bit of speed work. All of that will be incorporated into your summer program, and they all depend on each other. Skipping weights over the summer will only hurt you, as much as skipping stretching.

Without any further delays, here are some suggestions for your training for this week, June 4th-June 10th

Monday--Monday is usually our off day from running, but it will be designated a strength day. Here are some suggestions:
  • Go to the rec. center and do your favorite weight workout.
  • Go to a yoga class.
  • Do a push-up pyramid, starting at ten, going all the way down and all they way back up.
  • Be creative, but no running. Work on building your overall general strength!

Tuesday- Now we run. :) Head to the Bluffs today and get 45 minutes of running in.

Wednesday--LSD Day (Long Slow Distance) I have read some articles recently saying LSD is an antiquated concept. Bullsh*t. Trust me, LSD is the only way to build a base to survive interval workouts later. Today, try and run for 60 minutes. Wear your iPod, go easy, and make sure to drink a lot of water!

Thursday--Take today off.

Friday--Another long running day, go for a little less than you ran on Wednesday, to keep your muscles fresh.

Saturday--Do one one my favorite workouts, the four square game. Go around 6-7 times.
  • Set up four cones in a park in a square
      • Each cone should be about 100 m apart
        • One cone is 5 diamond push-ups
        • One cone is 10 crunches
        • One cone is 15 regular push-ups
        • One cone is 20 bicycle sit-ups
Sunday--Go for a run, the same distance and time you ran on Wednesday. If you are feeling really good, try and go longer. Don't go fast though! (Refer to above rules.)

And let's see if this poll works or not, it is a new thing, I am excited and apprehensive about it. To be honest, I am not 100% sure how to check the results, but I can figure that out as we g o along. And please only vote once!










Is going to Red Rocks worthwhile, or a waste of time?


Yes, it is a great workout, one I can't replicate here in town
Sure, it is fun, but not irreplaceable
Nah, I can do much better things with my time.





View Results


Make your own poll

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for the workouts...i'll be using them this summer.