Sunday, June 17, 2007

Work-outs for the week of June 18th

Now, I know all of you athletes reading this blog love to race. That is what makes you great competitors and great racers, you simply love to race. However, I believe that the summer is the season for doing just the opposite, that is the summer is for not racing. Now, whatever you have done the past two weeks, you can't change, but I think now is the time to re-focus your efforts, if need be. I am not knocking anyone for racing, I think it is great, but everyone needs to focus on getting miles in right now, that is the goal of your summer sessions.

If you race on a particular day, that is one day where you get a the the most, 45 minutes of running in, if you do a long warm-up, race, then do a long cool-down. Now is the time to build up your base, to build up your foundation. Even though it is hot, and even though there are races, you need to focus on long runs; building running strength and not speed; and correcting mistakes in your form.

Having said this, these work-outs are voluntary, but I strongly suggest your heed my advice. The work-outs will be very similar to last week, the only difference being the need to go longer on the long runs. This should be a tough week, in terms of length and duration of work-outs.

Monday--Day off, but get some general strength work in.

Tuesday--At least a 75 minute run. Nice and slow and easy. Go early in the morning.

Wednesday--Red Rocks, meet at seven at CHS. Red & I will try not to be late.

Thursday--Meet at my house (text me for directions if you are unsure) at 8:00 a.m. There is a great park nearby, I want to do a long run with a hill work-out. I want to try and do back-to-back hill sessions. We leave my house at 8:00 sharp!!

Friday--60 minute run with a few pick-ups thrown in for good measure.

Saturday--An easy day, so go for an easy 30 minute run to keep your legs loose.

Sunday--If you can, go for a long hike in the mountains. Otherwise, you need to go for at least a 90 minute run. Long, slow and easy! That is what you are focusing on this week! Good luck!

No comments: