Monday, June 16, 2008

Training

Time to start it up again, here are my early ideas on how I want to attack the summer of training.

Due to everything I have learned, not only from other coaches, but from all of the athletes I have interacted with the past five years, I really want to change it up this summer.  Traditionally, my summer training philosophy is about getting base miles in, the more the better.  This summer, totally different.  Not only will we work on getting those base miles in, we will also work on keeping up our lactic acid removal system (anaerobic threshold) and we will also keep our speed system maintained (anaerobic system).  To do that will require some structured practices that everyone can attend.

I hope that I see a lot of cars in the parking lot at Chap on Tuesday morning, say about 7:30.  That is when I want to leave for Red Rocks, and the more people the better!  Red Rocks will be similar to the Red Rocks we have done in the past, some warm-up on the side stairs, the main stairs, and then some "waterpumps" at the end. 

Thursday nights, I would like to meet at the CHS track to do some intervals.  Depending on the week, we will either do some shorter intervals, or some longer intervals.  The rest, the intensity, the amount, will all be determined by the individual athletes fitness.  This week, I would like to start it slow, with a simple mile TT, to get a baseline of each athlete.  I would encourage all athletes to be there, not just distance kids.  Hurdlers, sprinters, jumpers, all are welcome and all will be accommodated throughout the summer.  (Even you sprinters can do a mile TT!)

One of my favorite aspects of this past winter and spring season was meeting at my house up in DTC on Saturdays to do a long run with some type of tempo intervals interwoven throughout the run.  I would like to continue that this summer.  It's fun, that's the main reason why I want to keep doing it, but the Saturday runs allows the athlete to keep improving progressively.  Hopefully lots of people can commit to that, but it is the summer, so I understand if you can't make it every week.

That's all I got for now, I got a huge "To-Do" list to attack this afternoon.  That is good, cause I do NOT want to watch the US Open.  I am not liking Tiger very much anymore, too robotic, too forced, in my humble opinion.   Hope to see a bunch of you tomorrow, then we can discuss how we want to schedule Thursday nights.


No comments: