Sunday, December 14, 2008

Running in the Cold

I just got in from shoveling the driveway, it was a whopping -3 degrees! I love the bitter cold, reminds me of ski racing back home in New Hampshire. Extra cold green wax, sharp rills int he base, it was a true test of who was really the toughest racer out there. (I just heard on the news that they are NOT canceling the 5 km Jingle Bell road race this morning in Wash. Park, I wonder how many hard-core runners will come out for that?) I have only experienced one situation where it was too cold to ski race. I was cross country skiing in Alaska, and it was -20 or something ludicrous like that when we woke up for the morning races. The race directors had to wait until it warmed up to -18 for USSA rules to let us race. We had to tape our cheekbones, noses and foreheads in athletic tape, and then coat our entire faces in Vaseline to prevent frostbite. I think I raced pretty well that day, must have been the Vaseline. So don't let anyone tell you that old wives tale about "It will hurt your lungs to go out and run at this temperature." Antarctic explorers, Iditarod dog sled racers and world champion Nordic ski racers would vehemently disagree, as well as every study ever done on the subject. Just make sure to wear the appropriate layers, be extra cautious with your footing, and be super-hydrated, and you will have a great recovery run. You know me, if we go to a track meet and it is this cold, I am voting to race. Might as well get used to it now!! To repeat, the cold does not affect your lungs, so get out there and get a good run in! Think to yourself, no one else is running right now, you are getting an extra leg up on everyone!

SEP

P.S. The new weekly schedule is posted, I plan on practicing as normal, hope to see you all at the bottom of the stairs.

No comments: