Monday, July 6, 2009

Conspiracy Theory

Everyone is talking tonight about the blow-up that is going to happen on the Astana team, now that Lance is within striking distance of yellow, ahead of Levi, Contador and Kloden. If you take a step back, however, and look at the participants involved, it makes more sense.

Lance is the number one guy. Not Levi, not Contador, not Kloden. The team manger, the guy who runs all race tactics, is Johan Bruyneel. Johan and Lance are close, to say the least. Rumors have been flying that no matter what happens, Joahn is out at Team Astana becuase Vinokourov wants him out when he comes back from his doping ban. So, who is Johan going to be loyal to? It is going to be Lance. Every time.

I liken it to one of my runners coming back to run in HS for one more year of eligibility. Let's say SB decides to come back. But, I already have two or three other guys who are just as good, but do not have the history that SB and I have. I will be honest, I am going to be favoring the guy who has been with me through all the battles and the guy I can trust, SB. It's the same with Johan, he is going to be loyal to Lance and Lance is going to race for him. Johan and Lance have a history, they have a relationship, and that counts for a lot. All these new guys can take a back seat, fair or not.

Plus, the last time I checked, Nike, Versus TV network, and Bristol Myers Squibb do not have HUGE contracts with Alberto Contador. I am not saying it is rigged, but money talks, and if big money wants preference show to Armstrong, then preference will be shown.

Hey, I'm pulling for Lance more than anyone. I think he is not the favorite, everything considered equal, but everything is not equa. And with all the above factors thrown in, you will see a lot of Mr. Armstrong over the course of the next three weeks.

SEP

No comments: