Sunday, February 17, 2008

Improvements from Last Year

I am getting a sense from a lot of athletes that they think are not working as hard this year, that we training easier, and therefore running slower. We have changed our focus of pre-season training, actually going from less long running to more long intervals, but look at these numbers. I think they will renew your somewhat waning faith in the program we have set out for you.

(Remember, you can’t judge yourself based on your personal bests from May of 2007, only from February of 2007. The training is progressive, allowing for peaks at the end of the season!)

So, took your personal bests from last year’s indoor season, converted up for the 1500 m, and this is what I found. I have incorporated all of my data from last year that relates to this year.

Mile Times (2007-2008)

Alex B. 5:06-4:51
Patrick A. 5:38-5:17
Kelsey D. 5:59-5:42
Derek E. 5:09-4:56
Josh L. 5:24-5:09
Caroline H. 5:53-5:40

Half Mile Times (2007-2008)

Kelli H. 2:34-2:33
Kirsten L. 2:40-2:35
Kelsey D. 2:43-2:35
Derek E. 2:15-2:10
Patrick A. 2:20-2:16

I am a glass half full kind of guy, but even if I was wearing my East Coast Pessimist hat, I would still find these numbers to be pretty awesome. Improvements across the board!! Add in the fact that a lot of us have been pretty seriously ill, and the only speed work we have done is sprinting up Spenst Hill, and these numbers look even better!

Now that we are starting to get healthy, we are moving into the pure interval phase of our training, and we will start competing on a regular basis; this data is exactly where I want to be! Looks to me like they compare very favorably! Everyone is doing a great job, the training is working; so now we need to keep working this hard on the track, and stay as healthy as we can off the track! See you Monday morning, athletic parking lot, at 8:30 for Spenst Hill!!

No comments: