Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Intense Practice

We had a super intense practice today. The senior boys calculated that everyone ran between 5,500 and 10,200 meters of intervals at orange pace today. The top boys were running 5:00 min/mile pace, the top girls were running at 6:30 pace. We ran one mile, two 1200's, three kilos and four half miles, all with very limited rest. The wind was howling from the North, and the temp was not very high. All of the kids ran extremely impressively. All might not have hit their beeps exactly, but everyone fought through and finished the workout totally spent. Three senior boys even came out after the VO2 Max ladders and six laps of sprint ladders, running until their legs simply couldn't fire anymore. I couldn't have been more pleased with the practice. Tough weather, difficult workout, running on tired legs; that is the secret to running fast in May.

Since we ran so well today, and since I truly believe everyone gave everything they had today, we will NOT be having 5:55 am practice tomorrow. I believe that having less than 16 hours is not enough time to recover properly to execute the 500m repeats correctly. I also think the weather will be pretty nasty, and I think that sleeping in will have more long term benefit than track repeats. Ask the seniors, I don't do this often, but I am changing the practice to after school tomorrow into flying sprints, ten of them, that the senior captains will be in charge of. (I have P/T conferences.)

Great work today everyone, I am proud of all of you, and your reward is a few extra hours of sleep. Work hard after school tomorrow, see some of you at gymnastics, some of you on the trails Friday, and all of Monday for another tough practice.

SEP

No comments: