Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Athlete Groupings

This winter we have a very diverse group of athletes training with us. We have some pure sprinters, we have some pure two milers, and we have everyone in-between. The training ages of all of these athletes is quite broad as well. Actual age does not factor in here, training age is what is important. In other words, I don't care what grade you are in, I care about how many miles you have gotten under your legs. Some kids have been running consistently for over five years. (Which is a long time for HS kids!) Others have just started. Which presents some unique challenges that we are going to address starting this week.

We'll see how my new athlete groupings of SPRINT, SPRINT/DISTANCE and DISTANCE work out. My biggest fear is overtraining, but I think I have taken into account all of the important factors and come up with some ideas to prevent that. My goal with this is to maximize the results of the athletes involved, to train them as precisely as possible with limited resources. I'll let you know how it turns out at League Relays.

SEP

No comments: