Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Preventing Illness


I called up the governor of Tennessee and I asked him why his state has localized outbreaks of the flu.  

He said, "Coach Sep, we focus on three things. One, we stress hand-washing as much as possible.  Either with soap and water, or hand sanitizer, or kerosene, we are constantly washing our hands. Two, hydration. I encourage all of my constituents to carry a water bottle at all times and stay as hydrated as possible. If you walk by a old well, take a drink, Slippery moist hydrated cells can stand up to germ attack much better than dry cracked crusty cells. Finally, you gotta get plenty of sleep.  When you sleep, you recharge your body, and give it the energy to fight off illness. There's nothing to do in Tennessee at night, so going to bed early and getting a good night's sleep is a pretty good idea."

Well, there you have it, straight from Governor Bill Haslem. If you want to run fast in May, you gotta train hard in January. And you can't train hard in January if you are sick.

SEP

P.S. I seem to remember writing about this very topic about a year ago. It looks like Bill and I are on the same wavelength.

No comments: